Legal Administrative Specialist (Probate)

Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs

Summary This position is located with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Southern Plains Region, Anadarko Agency, Branch of Probate and Estate in Anadarko, Oklahoma. This is a Bargaining Unit position, for more information see What are bargaining units? NOTE: TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE AUTHORIZED. ANY RELOCATION EXPENSES ASSOCIATED WITH REPORTING FOR DUTY WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE SELECTED EMPLOYEE. Responsibilities Provide substantial support assistance to and consult with deciding officials in the Office of Hearing and Appeals (OHA) attorney advisors in the Bureau and administrative law judges in the Office of Hearing and Appeals. Examine legal documents for the purpose of verifying ownership status of lands and resources, ensuring accuracy of legal descriptions, research land titles and prepares an inventory of real property in estates. Apply specialized knowledge of probate legal principles to evaluate factual documents and other information to determine the level of legal complexity in Indian probate cases; assembles documentation into a probate case package. Review, analyze and make recommendations to the Office of Hearing and Appeals staff regarding proposed leases, rights-of-way, or other encumbrances of the trust or restricted land/assets in the estate. Perform legal research to assist in resolving problems arising under federal, tribal, and state case law applicable to the testamentary disposition of property, title status, genealogy, and other probate matters. Interpret and implement the decisions of the OHA deciding officials. Responsible for taking all actions necessary to affect new land and resource ownership data and payment of any trust and restricted funds in the estate account. Requirements Conditions of Employment Qualifications Experience and Education Requirements: (OPM Operating Manual, Qualification Standards for Administrative and Management Positions, GS-0901). SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE GS-9: 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 grade level in the Federal Service (obtained in either the public or private section). This experience must include research and gathering of legal/financial documents that result in a Probate Case file assembly suitable for submission to the Office of Hearings and Appeals (OHA); review approval/corrective action for case files prepared by others, including Tribal Service Providers; upon expiration of the appeal period, initiate an update of data in automated systems; initiate closure and distribution of estate assets through the Office of the Special Trustee. OR Education: Masters or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree (36 semester hours, 54 quarter hours or equivalent); OR LL.B. or J.D., if related to this position. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) to perform successfully the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the position to be filled. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Merit Promotion candidates must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the announcement closing date. Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (title 25, USC Section 472). Additional selections may be made from this announcement if identical vacancies occur in the same location within 90 days from the closing date. Education If you are qualifying based on your education, you MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement. If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society. One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate schools definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education which shows the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: FOREIGN EDUCATION Additional Information All new hires earn the beginning salary of their pay grade (Step 1). See 2024 Salary Tables here and select the duty station from the Anadarko, Oklahoma to choose the appropriate pay chart. If no specific chart is listed for this geographic location, see the “rest of U.S.” chart. The full performance level of this position is GS-9. TELEWORK: Indian Affairs has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster. As a incidental motor vehicle operator position, you may be required to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle in the performance of duties; therefore, a valid drivers license is required and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (25 IAM 4 Motor Vehicle Safety Program). Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: . Certain candidates may be eligible to apply under a special hiring authority including those for disabled individuals, Peace Corps employees, Foreign Service employees, veterans, etc. For more information, visit the following OPM websites: USAJOBS Information Center:; Vets Info Guide: Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. Most individuals who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.

Show Full Vacancy