Social Worker – Transitional Residence

Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration

Summary This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan payment reimbursement program. You must meet specific individual eligibility requirements in accordance with VHA policy and submit your EDRP application within four months of appointment. Approval, award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) are determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services program office after complete review of the EDRP application. Responsibilities A recruitment/relocation may be authorized for highly qualified candidates. Social Worker who is responsible for all administrative and clinical duties in the Compensated Work Therapy/Transitional Residence Program. The Social Worker will also assist in facilitating groups on the Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program (RRTP) and inpatient units. The Social Worker provides treatment to Veterans who are homeless and diagnosed with Substance Use Disorder, PTSD, Dual Diagnosis and other serious mental illness diagnoses. Maintain TR House statistics, performance improvement activities. Leads system redesign and LEAN projects. Completes all mandated reporting, monitoring and accreditation requirements relevant to that program. Generates all work orders for needed repairs or safety issues at the TR House. Responsible for coordinating with environmental services for terminal cleaning of each room between residents. Keeping track of all program fees- who owes fees and sending a list of payroll deductions each pay period to individual who does CSW payroll. Responsible for selecting and training new house managers and make sure nightly bed checks are completed. Provides screening/assessment – The social worker develops biopsychosocial assessment and completes all required intake and discharge paperwork. Conducts intake screening interviews to assess eligibility for admission to program. The Social Worker will address home care needs, homelessness, and transition across levels and sites of care. Treatment Planning/Goal Setting – The social worker is responsible for completion of the Mental Health Treatment Suite and updates Crisis intervention as needed in the Transitional Residence and works closely with UC staff if further evaluation needed. Facilitates groups on the RRTP and inpatient units. Serves as an advocate for Veterans and their families, helping them access needed services at the facility, at other VA facilities, and in their local communities. Is responsible for furthering own professional growth through education, appropriate to area of assignment, and providing coverage during social worker absences. Work Schedule: 7:30am to 4:00pm Telework: Ad-hoc Virtual: This is not a virtual position. Functional Statement #: 000000 Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Authorized EDRP Authorized: Contact Eva Gennara, the EDRP Coordinator for questions/assistance. Learn more Permanent Change of Station (PCS): Not Authorized Financial Disclosure Report: Not required Requirements Conditions of Employment You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job. Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959. Must be proficient in written and spoken English. You may be required to serve a probationary period. Subject to background/security investigation. Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process. Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP). Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) – See “Additional Information” below for details. Qualifications Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met. Basic Requirements: United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. English Language Proficiency: Social workers must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, Part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j. Education: Must have a masters degree in social work from a school of social work fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Graduates of schools of social work that are in candidacy status do not meet this requirement until the School of Social Work is fully accredited. A doctoral degree in social work may not be substituted for the masters degree in social work. (TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED) Licensure: Must be licensed or certified by a state to independently practice social work at the masters degree level. (COPY OF LICENSE REQUIRED) In addition to the basic requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates. Grade Determinations: GS-9 Level: Experience, Education and Licensure: None beyond the basic requirements. This is the entry level and are closely supervised. In addition, the candidates must demonstrate all of the KSAs: Ability to work with Veterans and family members from various socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, educational, and other diversified backgrounds utilizing counseling skills. Ability to assess the psychosocial functioning and needs of Veterans and their family members, and to formulate and implement a treatment plan, identifying the Veterans problems, strengths, weaknesses, coping skills, and assistance needed. Ability to implement treatment modalities in working with individuals, families, and groups to achieve treatment goals. This requires judgment and skill in utilizing supportive, problem solving, or crisis intervention techniques. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communicate with clients, staff, and representatives of community agencies. Fundamental knowledge of medical and mental health diagnoses, disabilities, and treatment procedures. This includes acute, chronic, and traumatic illnesses/injuries; common medications and their effects/side effects; and medical terminology. GS-11 Level: In addition to the basic requirements, you must have a minimum of one year of post-MSW degree experience in the field of health care social work (VA or non-VA experience). OR Doctoral degree in social work from a school of social work may be substituted for the required one year of professional social work experience in a clinical setting. (TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED)In addition to the experience above, candidates must demonstrate all of the following KSAs: Knowledge of community resources, how to make appropriate referrals to community and other governmental agencies for services, and ability to coordinate services. Skill in independently conducting psychosocial assessments and treatment interventions to a wide variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural, ethnic, educational and other diversified backgrounds. Knowledge of medical and mental health diagnoses, disabilities and treatment procedures (i.e. acute, chronic and traumatic illnesses/injuries, common medications and their effects/side effects, and medical terminology) to formulate a treatment plan. Skill in independently implementing different treatment modalities in working with individuals, families, and groups who are experiencing a variety of psychiatric, medical, and social problems to achieve treatment goals. Ability to provide consultation services to new social workers, social work graduate students, and other staff about the psychosocial needs of patients and the impact of psychosocial problems on health care and compliance with treatment. Exception: VHA may waive the licensure or certification requirement for persons who are otherwise qualified, pending completion of state prerequisites for licensure/certification examinations. This exception only applies at the GS-9 grade level. For the GS-11 grade level and above, the candidate must be licensed or certified. Preferred Experience: Mental Health References: VA Handbook 5005/120 Part II Appendix G39 Social Worker Qualification Standard. The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-11. Physical Requirements: The work is primarily sedentary. Physical demands do not exceed those of a typical office setting. There may be some walking, standing, twisting, turning, sitting, pushing, bending, and repetitive keyboarding, or carrying of light items. Education IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education. Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: Additional Information This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies. This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status. VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority. Pursuant to VHA Directive 1193.01, VHA health care personnel (HCP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to such accommodations as required by law (i.e., medical, religious or pregnancy). VHA HCPs do not include remote workers who only infrequently enter VHA locations. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required accommodation from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process. If you are unable to apply online or need an alternate method to submit documents, please reach out to the Agency Contact listed in this Job Opportunity Announcement.